Physician Assistants (PAs) are highly skilled health care professionals educated in the medical model who practice medicine. PAs can work in any clinic setting to extend physician services, complement existing services and aid in improving patient access to health care. (CMA Toolkit) Learn more →
There are 3 PA programs in Canada. Each PA Program differs in terms of what they want submitted (e.g. transcripts, letters of reference), pre-requisite courses, GPA, supplementary application format and even the format of the Multi-Mini Interview.
Please note: There are NO required written tests (e.g. GRE, MCAT, etc.), nor will those test scores be considered for the programs.
Does getting a Masters or Bachelors in PA studies affect employment opportunities? Whether you obtain a Masters of Bachelors of PA Studies does not affect your ability to obtain employment in the Canadian PA Job Market.
Who determines the class sizes of PA programs? Class sizes in Ontario are determined not by the programs, but by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
September 2022 Key Application Deadlines
When should I start the application process? I recommend getting ready for PA admissions the FALL (or September) before the deadline. E.g. if you are applying for September 2022 entry, you can start to prepare for the process September the year before (September 2021).
Cumulative GPA is the average of ALL undergraduate coursework you have taken. This includes courses you have repeated (the old and new grade for that course), courses that are taken in the summer, etc.
PA School Application Process
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA
• 1000-word writtenStatement of Intent (SOI) • Complete CASPer Test • CV/Resume (The Academic CV would be an appropriate format to use to apply to UofM)
• Self-Declaration Statement
• Timed video and written supplemental application (done through Kira Talent in previous years)
• January: Submit ALL documentation including online application • Late February: PA school interview invites released • mid-March: MMI invitations sent out • Early to mid-April: Virtual Interviews take place • End of April: Offers of acceptance sent out
• Feb 1: Submit OUAC Form 105 & all transcripts • Feb 21: Access to supp. app released. • 1st week of April: MMI Invites sent out • Early May: MMIs take place • Mid-May: Offers of acceptance sent • Sept 2022: Successful applicants begin PA cycle
• January 15: Complete UofT Online Application (OUAC)
• February 1: Submit Transcripts and Proof of English Language Proficiency; and submit ALL supplemental documentation.
• Early April: MMI Invites sent out. • Early May: MMIs take place • Mid-May: Notice of acceptance sent out to students • Sept 2022: Successful applicants begin PA school cycle.
NOTE: This is a summary of the application process. Always visit the Canadian PA program’s official websites for the most up-to-date information.
Are PA program interviews virtual? In the past, the Multi-Mini Interview was in-person. Due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic, the interviews went virtual for the first time for the 2020-2021 PA School Admissions Cycle. PA programs will indicate on their websites and/or communicate to applicants directly what the format of PA school interview will be.
What if I identify as indigenous? McMaster offers a facilitated admissions process for First Nations, Inuit and Metis applicants. See their website for more information.
Competitive PA School Applicants
The University of Manitoba MPAS and the University of Toronto/PA Consortium PA program have outlined preferred admission requirements that may make your application more competitive.
Note: These are NOT required, and there are examples of PA applicants who got in without those requirements!