On June 15, 2017, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) announced that applications for the Career Start Program to employ Ontario’s 2017 PA graduates. Here is an overview of the timeline and some of the requirements for the Ontario 2017 Career Start Program.
Timeline of 2017 Ontario Career Start Grant Release
Employer Q&A For Career Start Grant
A. As outlined in the PA Career Start Guidelines, being approved the Career Start grant and receiving financial support requires a strong application:
- Demonstrated need for assistance of a PA
- Clinical role to be played by aPA
- The site’s readiness to employ a PA
- Plan for sustaining PA role beyond the grant funding period.
This requires good understanding of the PA role, a plan for PA integration into clinic, and sustaining the PA role once funding runs out in 1-2 years.
A. Employers who wish to apply for the Career Start grant have a total of 5 weeks to complete this physician application grant to submit on July 24, 2017. The package on the website includes:
- Program Guidelines (PDF)*
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)*
- Application Form (.DOCX)*
- Resources (Website Link)*
*Note – These PDFs are often time sensitive and may be “broken” beyond 2017.
Here is a checklist of what is to be submitted to Health Force Ontario:
A. HFO has a list of helpful resources and a contact:
Otherwise you can contact:
- Canadian Association of Physician Assistants – email@example.com
- Ontario Chapter President – firstname.lastname@example.org
- McMaster PA Program – email: email@example.com, fax: 905-527-0131, phone: 905-525-9140 ext 22872 , Website
- PA Consortium (University of Toronto Program, NOSM, Michener) – email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 416-946-7173, Website
- Myself (Anne) – email@example.com
We can connect you with a PA working in your particular field of medicine / specialty, or with someone who has had experience with the Career Start Grant Process.
Have any questions regarding the PA Career Start Process? If you couldn’t find answers above or in links provided, let me know in the comments below!
Disclaimer: Information provided here is meant to be an overview of the Career Start Grant Process. The most accurate up to date information regarding the 2017 Career Start Program process is available on the Health Force Ontario website.